Dr. Holladay and the purchase of the Holladay House
Dr. Lewis Holladay (1868-1946) was educated at Hampden-Sydney College and the University of Virginia. In 1892, he married Sally Helen Price and they had their first daughter, Louise in 1898. The Holladays had six children in all: Louise, Henry Thompson, Lewis, Jr., James Porter, Helen, and Aubrey.
The Holladays purchased a brick home on Main Street in Orange in 1899, now known to all as the Holladay House. They made several additions to their home in the 1910s. They also constructed a small schoolhouse and second home on the property in the 1920s and 1930s.
Miss Louise Holladay never married, and resided in the Holladay House her entire life. She taught local children in the one-room private schoolhouse, which no longer stands.
A prominent citizen in Orange, Virginia
Dr. Lewis Holladay grew up in Orange Presbyterian church. He was elected a Trustee of the Church Property in the spring of 1908. He served as ruling elder of Orange Presbyterian Church and was elected Delegate to attend the meetings of Presbytery and Synod many times over in his years on the Session.
Dr. Holladay was also dean of Physicians for Orange County, and a member of the State Board of Medical Examiners. He served as Orange County coroner, and company surgeon for the C&O Railway. During World War I, he attended to wounded soldiers at the convalescing hospital the Duponts built at Montpelier.
Mother and daughter serve the church
His wife Helen was an active member of the Women’s Auxiliary. She was interested in foreign and home missions, sometimes serving as secretary. Helen Holladay was on the flower committee, putting fresh flowers in the church. She also organized rummage sales to raise money.
In 1925, Mrs. Holladay was elected choir directress and Miss Louise Holladay was elected organist. Miss Louise was paid $10 per month for her service!
In Part 3, we'll follow Lewis Holladay, Jr,. Lewis Holladay III, and the fate of the Holladay House.
- Jennie Hill Robinson
OPC History Team