Continuing the work of the church
Orange, Virginia, like the rest of the country, was feeling the effects of the Great Depression. But the Women’s Auxiliary was not slowing down. They had made it their mission to financially support their church however they could.
And they did so quite creatively. That year the Methodist Ladies asked to use the OPC dining room and kitchen, and the Auxiliary received a payment of $5.00. The yearly rummage sales continued, the women served meals at other churches, garden clubs and to the Rotarians. They held lawn parties, donated their egg money, made and sold Christmas cards and sold their handwork. In March, the Auxiliary gave $50 toward the church debt ($959 in 2021 dollars!).
In 1933, the Auxiliary took a vote to pay the sum of $125.00 on the church's note held by the bank. It was due May 1st, and the Auxiliary voted to not only pay $125.00 on the Principal of the note but to also to raise the additional amount needed to cancel the debt. (The $125.00 was equal to $2,400 in 2021 dollars). Mrs. W. W. Sanford offered to act as chair of a special committee to raise the sum.
In June, repairs on the Manse began and the Auxiliary discussed ways to raise the necessary money. At their August meeting, it was voted that each member pledge and donate up to $1.00 to be paid toward this expense.
In November, Mrs. Rawlings, chairman of the Sunshine Band, donated $50.00 made by the “little band” to the Auxiliary Fund and asked it be applied to the Building Fund.
At the same time, the Auxiliary continued their work in the community, essential during the Depression. There was always White Cross work making compresses and bandages.
At the June meeting, Mrs. Hazzard brought to the attention of the Auxiliary the responsibility of the Church to the employees of the Silk Mill. American Silk Mills, Inc. was established in 1929 and was one of the town's biggest employers. Mrs. Hazzard and Miss Elma Williams were appointed to confer with other churches and organizations in Orange and try to work out some plan by which the girls and boys working in the mill could be helped.
In March of 1934, Dr. Stribling, then pastor of OPC, the Auxiliary for the noble work accomplished in the past year.