In October 1847, just two years after the church was organized, Dr. Lewis Littlepage Holladay, his wife, Jane G. Thompson, and their two sons, were received from the Presbyterian Church of Fredericksburg. The sons were John Zachary Holladay and Henry Thompson Holladay. Dr. Holladay and his wife soon had two more sons, John Addison Holladay and James Minor Holladay. The family lived near Rapidan at Dunlora.
Dr. Lewis Holladay serves OPC
Dr. Holladay was ordained Elder in November 1847 and became Stated Clerk of the Session in May 1865. In 1867, he and four others were appointed Trustees to hold property purchased by OPC for the erection of a manse. The property was later sold to Dr. I. W. K. Handy, who was then pastor and had the manse erected. (for more of this story see: The Old Manse)
“In 1869, the Church sustained a severe loss in the death of an Elder, Dr. Lewis Littlepage Holladay. A most consistent Christian, and regular in his attendance upon the services and courts of the church, he exercised quiet influence in it as well as in his own neighborhood. Though interested in scientific matters, he was particularly well versed in ecclesiastic subjects, and his gentle and genial disposition made him to be universally beloved.”
A. G. Grinnan, Elder
March 31, 1888
(During his turn as Stated Clerk of the Session, Dr. A. G. Grinnan, carefully and efficiently recorded the minutes for 27 years!)
Henry Holladay and founding of Waddell Memorial Church
Dr. Holladay’s son, Henry Thompson Holladay, Sr. (1828 - 1910) was admitted to OPC in 1847. His first wife was Mary Jane Boggs (1833–1861) and his second wife was Frances Porter Holladay (1838-1917). They lived near Rapidan and are buried at Waddell Memorial Presbyterian Church Cemetery.
In 1874, two elders from the Orange Presbyterian Church, Dr. Andrew G. Grinnan and Henry T. Holladay, led a campaign to erect a church at Rapidan. It was to be a memorial to Rev. James Waddell. Rev. Waddell was a celebrated blind preacher. He was the first Presbyterian preacher to fill a regular appointment in Orange County.
The campaign was a success. Two years later, West Hanover Presbytery organized the Waddell Memorial Church.
Henry Holladay had seven children between his two wives, one being Lewis Holladay, Jr. (1868-1946). More on him and his son later!
Jennie Hill Robinson
OPC History Team