OPC News and views
In 2020, Wilson, Frank, and Anne Somerville had the pulpit chairs at OPC refurbished as a gift to the church. The results are beautiful. Many thanks to this family for their contribution.
These chairs have a long history with OPC.
February 13th, 1910, the Session minutes of the Orange Presbyterian Church read as follows:
“Object of this meeting was the consideration of an offer of $1200.00 for the church building by Bishop Gibson of the Episcopal Church; with the following reservations, viz. the pulpit, the pulpit (or Rostrum) chairs, the hymn board, the hymn book racks. A motion was made, seconded and unanimously adopted that gave the Trustees power to accept the definite offer of $1200 for the property and authorizing them to do so.”
We can assume these pulpit chairs were in the first church we built in 1845 on Byrd Street. They were brought to our new church on the corner of Caroline and Main Streets in 1910. The chairs now reside in our present Sanctuary, built in 1971.
We are so very grateful for this gift.
- Jennie Hill Robinson