OPC History: The Moore Family
John Goodwin Moore and his wife, Barbara Hughes Moore, were admitted to the Orange Presbyterian Church in 1947. The Moores had four children: Ann Grey, James Brent, Pamela Louise and Mary Goodwin.
Goodwin Moore, contractor and grower
John, known by his second name Goodwin, was born Sept. 27, 1917, son of Latter Grey Moore and Ethel Mills Moore. He founded Moore, Kelly & Reddish Inc., a highway construction firm that he led until the late 1970s. At that time he took over operation of Moormont Orchards in Rapidan. His father had started the business in the 1940s and Goodwin grew it into Virginia's largest pick-your-own orchard.
Each year, Goodwin welcomed the thousands of visitors to Moormont and always ended every visit with "come back to see us.” He could grow anything, as evidenced by the beauty of all the flowers, vegetables and fruit there.
Barbara Moore and the OPC
Barbara Moore helped manage the orchards, along with raising her four children. She was a member of the Orange Garden Club, winning ribbons with prize roses from Moormont.
Barbara was a member of one of OPC’s Women’s Circles. The Moores hosted summer picnics for the Presbyterian church members, supplying freshly cooked fried chicken.
Building the Education Wing
Goodwin Moore was ordained as a Deacon in OPC in 1949. In 1950, the Session discussed plans for the new Sunday School addition. Goodwin Moore was present, representing the Deacons. A committee was formed to draw tentative plans for the addition and to present them to the congregation. Goodwin Moore was elected chairman of the committee.
At the Session meeting November 1950, a report from the committee was read and explained by Goodwin Moore. The report was accepted and a new committee, including Goodwin Moore, was appointed to raise funds for the new addition.
In April of 1951, Mr. Moore was on the General Building Committee. The committee's job was to make arrangements with an architect and finalize plans for the Sunday School building.
Building the new sanctuary
Goodwin Moore was elected and ordained as Elder in 1956. In 1959, he was elected as Clerk of Session. Goodwin also was Chairman of the planning council for the new church built in 1971.
A lasting legacy
Goodwin Moore passed away in 2007, preceded in death by his wife, Barbara, and daughter, Pamela Louise. He is survived by his son Brent and wife, Glenda, of Orange; his daughter Ann Grey Saputo, and her husband, John of Montclair; and his daughter Mary Sandridge and her husband, Derek, of Crozet. There are eight grandchildren and five great grandchildren.
We, the members of Orange Presbyterian Church, are grateful for the work Barbara and Goodwin Moore did for all who follow them.
- Jennie Hill Robinson
OPC History Team
7/19/2021 10:31:23 am
You need to put this history together in a book. Great job, Jennie!
5/30/2022 08:01:57 pm
I remember the Moore's. We visited the orchards for wonderful produce.
Leave a Reply.