In 1929, the OPC Women's Auxiliary was made up of three groups: Circle #1, Circle #2 and the Girls' Circle! They would often meet in the Sunday School Room of the Sunday School Building. Although sometimes in the "Girls' Room." The Girls' Circle was made up of young girls in the church and they were guided by Miss Elma Hansbrough Williams.
Elma H. Williams
Elma H. Williams (1899-1980) was a major figure in the history of OPC and Orange County. She was born at Berry Hill in Orange, and lived there her entire life. In the 1930s she helped start Orange's first Girl Scout unit, and served as the area's first Girl Scout leader.
An avid gardener, she was active in the Dolley Madison Garden Club, and painted several watercolors of the club's daffodil collections. She co-founded the Orange Garden Club in the 1950s.
The OPC Women’s Auxiliary March, 1930 minutes had this entry:
- The Girls’ Circle asked to take over beautifying of the church grounds and were granted permission with the greatest of pleasure.
Raising funds with food
The May meeting was held at Woodley, the home of the president, Mrs. W. W. Sanford (Lelia Johnson Sanford). Twenty-two members attended. The Auxiliary held a Fireman’s Supper on May 6. At the meeting, they reported a profit of $63.00 (the equivalent of $954 in 2021 dollars).
In October, the Auxiliary’s monthly meeting was at Berry Hill, the home of Mrs. Evelyn Johnson Williams. It was suggested they serve lunch at the Poultry Show in Orange in December.
The fundraiser was a success. Mrs. Sanford reported in December that $55.00 -- $832 in 2021 dollars -- was made from the Poultry Show lunches!
At the OPC Womens’ Auxiliary January meeting, there was a motion to give $100 on a note due on the church debt. Mrs. H. E. Grasty was authorized to write the check, the equivalent of about $1,730 in 2021 dollars.
For the relief of lepers
In February, Mrs. Wambersie read a paper on lepers. It must have made an impression. The minutes in October read: “A motion was carried to the effect every member’s failure to notify the hostess of her absence before the meeting would be fined with this being used for the lepers.”
Mrs. Chester C. Hazard became a member of the Auxiliary in October.
In November, it was voted to adopt an orphan in Lynchburg and that the Auxiliary would send the amount of her support quarterly.
Mrs. Evelyn Johnson Williams of Berry Hill passed away November 1st. Mrs. Stribling read the resolutions of respect, which were published in the local newspaper.
"[Evelyn Johnson Williams] was the senior member of our society and the oldest member of this church, and for years has been our guiding spirit in enthusiasm and service.
Her love for the church and her Lord was proverbial, rarely was her place vacant in the church, the Sabbath school, or our society."