"As a teacher, his influence lives with Woodberry men everywhere." Who was this wonderful man?
William Leland Lord was born on January 29, 1888 in Covington, KY. He came to Woodberry Forest School, (founded in 1889 in Madison County), in 1916. Once he arrived, his entire life’s work was spent in the teaching of boys.
Mr. Lord transferred his membership to Orange Presbyterian Church in 1923. He was elected a Ruling Elder a year later.
“As a father, his devotion and character were symbolic; as a humanitarian the glad memory of his cheerful, buoyant nature still warms men’s hearts; as a Christian, his love for Christ and his Church still leads men on.” (Author unknown…maybe Rev. Richard Taylor?)
William Lord died January 14, 1960 and is buried in Graham Cemetery with his wife “Georgie” and their daughter Louise Trenholm Lord. Their son, Leland Hume Lord is buried in Los Angeles, CA.
Georgia and their daughter, Louise, were also active in the OPC. Both were busy in the Women of the Church. Louise took on Bible Study and made it interesting. She also sang in the choir, entertaining the congregation with beautiful solos.
On June 17, 1962, there was a service of dedication in memory of Mr. Lord. Two hymn boards were given by the Women of the Church. They were originally installed in the old sanctuary, which is now the Fellowship Hall. The boards hang today in the new Orange Presbyterian Church, built 1971.